Friday 28 November 2014

Trine Hahnemann's 'Shower Buns'

My love affir with Trine Hahnemann continues. I never thought I would say this, but after 39 years, Delia Smith has finally been knocked off the top spot of my top 5 favorite cooking people. I grew up with my Dad cooking Delia recipes. They were the only cookery books we had at home. The first recipe I used as a child was her recipe for 'Plain Scones', page 283 of 'Delia Smith's Cookery Course Part Two'. When my Dad passed away those books were the first things I wanted to retrieve from his place and I still use them. Good old, faithful Scones. Still going strong.


Delia's scones.

However, since I have discovered Trine Hahnemann there is new number 1 in town. I do feel very guilty about this particularly as Christmas is coming and Delia has been a faithful companion for many years at Christmas time, but Delia had a good run. I'm sure she would understand.

I am maniacally working my way through her 'Scandinavian Baking' book and can't seem to put it down. Some people take erotic fiction to bed or a kindle. I take books about Scandinavian food. It used to be books about Interior Design but baking is a much cheaper habit. The main reason I am enjoying her books so much is that her recipes use a manageable list of ingredients that are not impossible to source. I often find dishes I would like to cook but the list of ingredients is too long or the ingredients themselves are too obscure. I have virtually no spare time as it is at the moment running round after a toddler and dragging him round the shops looking for unwaxed Ewes milk is a bridge too far (sorry Ethicurian's).


Wow. Feats your eyes on that cake!

My favorite recipe at the moment is her recipe for 'Shower Buns', so called as by the time you take to have a shower in the morning, they are cooked. They are a revelation and consist of four ingredients. That's right, FOUR. They are going to change my life and push me in the direction of elasticated waistbands. These buns are cheap, quick, simple to make and most importantly, delicious. The idea is that you make a batch of dough which can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days, and each morning you scoop a few dollops of the mixture onto a baking tray and voila! By the time you've had a spruce, breakfast is ready! How awesome is that! The first morning we tried these, we ate them with jam but on reflection I think that was a waste of a bun. So every morning since I have been starting my day with a streaky bacon and rocket shower bun. What luxury! (The highlight of my days this week actually). However, I wouldn't limit these buns to just the morning, they would be equally handy/delicious at lunchtime on their own or with soup. Yumsters.

Shower Buns

15g Fresh Yeast
700ml Cold
8g Salt
850-900g Strong White flour

(Firstly, since this was my first attempt, I only used half quantities of the ingredients. This made approx 10 buns, enough for us for a week. Also, I didn't have enough Plain White Flour so I ended up using two thirds plain white flour and one third rye flour. But as Trine says you can swap different types of flour around to what you prefer and also use seeds if you like. Finally, I didn't have fresh yeast so used 7g of Dried Yeast).

* Dissolve the yeast into the water, add the salt and flour and mix well.
* Knead with a mixer of by hand using a wooden spoon - thus mixture is very sticky you wont want to use your hands.
* Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge overnight.
*When you are ready for your buns, pre-heat the oven to as hot as it will go.
Cut off / spoon out required mixture and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. I used a big tablespoon sized dollop per bun.
*Slash the top of each bun with a very sharp knife.
* Cook for 5 minutes on the high heat the reduce the temperature to 210C/Gas Mark 6.5 and cook for a further 15-20 mins or until the buns are browning.
*When cooked, remove from the oven and rest for 5 mins before serving.


The dough the morning after.


Our first buns.


Oink.

When the buns first came out of the oven the crust felt very hard but as they cooled slightly the crust magically softened and the buns had the texture inside of a ciabatta. I can't say enough good things about these buns. You have to make them. Thank you Trine, I think I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment