Sunday 15 May 2011

Grey Mullet with celery and yellow peppers.




Almost another week has whizzed by and I haven't written anything since I got home from Croatia. This is due in part as the day after I returned from my trip away I started work on another job and have been a bit busy with that, and also due to the fact that I haven't done anything worth writing about. So much for early retirement, I'm working on my 8th job since February! Also, I feel a bit like the last few weekends have been chock-a-block with Easter BBQ's, Wondrous Royal weddings and trips abroad, so subsequently I'm a bit tired out. I'm not complaining at all just saying that sometimes it nice to be lazy and not feel like you have to rush around all the time. In fact we have been so lazy this weekend that we have driven everywhere. We even drove 1.5 minutes up the road this afternoon to collect a take away coffee. I'm not proud of this fact at all and certainly this is not a good move for 2 people who are rather too rotund for their own good, but at least it justified buying a car. Sort of.

As well, as collecting a small mocha, while we were out we also collected a lovely Grey Mullet for our tea from our friends at Fin and Flounder on Broadway Market. We have never cooked this at home before but I have to say it was a marvelous and will rate it a high 8 fish bones out of a possible 10. Its a very meaty fish so to speak, but does have rather a lot of bones, so beware. When I was a child I got a fish bone stuck in my throat and had to be taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital to have it removed by a nurse with an extremely steady hand and a pair of the longest tweezers known to man. Thus I am actually rather wary of all fish products.

Grey Mullet with celery and yellow peppers
Roughly chop 2 x celery stalks/sticks and one small yellow pepper.
Add this to the cavity of the fish (washed by the monger) along with some dill tops, lemon thyme and wedges of lime.
Season the fish and vegetables with salt + pepper.
Place on a baking tray wrapped in foil and bake in a low oven for around 30 minutes (ours was a large fish).
Remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes at a higher heat.
Serve with a salad and try not to choke on the bones.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment