Wednesday 8 February 2012

Homemade Lemon Curd

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. I'm not sure how long it's been since my last confession since most of my sins usually involved alcohol and I haven't touched any of that since last August, so it will have been a very long time ago. Anyway, I digress.  Two days ago I did something which has made me feel very guilty. It's made me feel like I've finally evolved into one of those people I secretly ridicule in the deep dark recess of the not very nice part of my mind.  While I was out and about on Tuesday, I bought a loaf of bread that cost £3.70. I know. Nearly £4. Unbelievable. But the worst part of the story is not that I actually bought the item but that it was delicious, so I know it is very likely that later on today I shall risk my dwindling mobility to slip around on the ice outside, walk round the corner, and buy another one. I confessed this dreadful sin to a friend this morning telling him it made me feel like a bit of 'a wanker', to which he replied, 'we are all wankers really - just some are better at hiding it than others.' I have some very wise and insightful friends. Amen


Anyway, the offending article/delicious loaf came from a fairly new shop round the corner from where I live. I can hardly believe I am typing this but we now live within waddling distance of 5, that's 5, places to get a decent for coffee. Compare that to the no mans lands it was when I moved here 5 years ago thats pretty good progress! Not only do we have:


Wiltons


Violet


Chase and Sorensen


Hackney Picture House


But we also have this place:




Its actually been open for just over a year but I haven't been more often as quite frankly I was a bit intimidated by it. I popped in last year for a coffee and felt like everyone sitting in there knew each other apart from me and didn't think the person serving was that friendly. HOWEVER, everyone deserves a second chance and I have totally changed my opinion after this week's visit. The atmosphere was friendly and more importantly the hot chocolate was delicious. Since I'm off the caffeine, Hot Chocolate has become my poison of choice and Healthy Stuff served up a proper good one. (Also, their smoothies and muesli looked amazing). Not only is it a cafe, they also sell a wide selection of UK sourced and organic food products, toiletries, household goods etc and obviously the amazing bread. The bread gets delivered daily direct from the E5 Bakehouse which is based in London Fields and we saw the man deliver it by bike! How quaint! So, Healthy Stuff gets a big thumb up from me, another small local business to support on the area. Its a good job I'm not busy with work at the moment as quite frankly I have no idea how I would manage to squeeze in all these local Coffee Shops I am now fully committed to supporting!

One of us is working however, which is a relief. The Wig was on a shoot last week and came home with a shit load of lemons. Most people get flowers from their fiance. I get lemons. Anyway, today I decided I better do something with them before they completely shriveled up. So I made some Lemon Curd. I've never made it before, but my god it was easy. And very very tasty particularly on a slice of over priced bread. It basically tastes like the bottom of a Lemon Meringue pie.

To make Lemon Curd

Shopping List:

4 x Large Eggs
4 x Egg Yolks
200g Caster Sugar
6 x Unwaxed Lemons (the juice of all, and the zest of 3)
150g Unsalted Butter
Sterilized Jars
Baking Paper

*Wash the jars in boiling soapy water, rinse then put upside down on a tray in a preheated oven (140C should do it). Dry the jars on the oven for about half a hour and leave until you are ready to fill them.
* Bring some water in a saucepan to a simmer.
* Whisk the eggs and yolks together in a heatproof bowl.


* Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest. Mix thoroughly.


* Add the butter cut into small pieces then move the bowl onto the top of the  saucepan of simmering water.
* Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the butter has melted, then use a whisk to stir the mixture for about 15-20 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and looks like custard.


* When ready, pour the mixture into the jars, place a circle of baking paper on top and close the lids. *Leave to cool at room temperature then put in the fridge. Use within 2 weeks.



YUMSTERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment