Saturday 4 February 2012

Not Michael Fassbender and the Hazlenut + Chocolate Brownies

So it turned out that the man I stalked around Tesco Express Hackney Downs this afternoon, wasn't Michael Fassbender after all. I wont get those 6 minutes back, what a waste of my day. I'd even worked out who I was going to ask to take a photo of him and I (Leon on Till number 1, I would say we are pretty good pals by now) and also what I was going to say ("I was so moved by your performance in Jane Eyre I pretty much cried all the way through the film. Although I'm not sure I fancy Shame as it looks a bit seedy"). Never mind. I'll just have to start wearing my glasses more often to avoid this kind of let down. That will teach me for buying glasses and never wearing them.

In other news, I'm sad to report that production on the Woolly Rectangle has currently ground to a halt due to an unfortunate incident involving a rather savage Madeline incident (vegetable peeler). I lopped the fingerprint off from my right hand index finger the night before last so knitting has been virtually impossible. However, I can still cook, so made some Hazlenut + Chocolate Brownies today to take to my friends house tomorrow. These Brownies aren't cheap to make (or in the least bit healthy), I spent over £10 on the ingredients and I already had flour and Backing Powder, but they are pretty nice and very easy to make.  And at least it gave me something to do whilst I wait for my finger to grow back.



To Make Hazelnut + Chocolate Brownies

Shopping List:
250g Unsalted Butter
200g 75% Cocoa Chocolate, broken into pieces
50g Chopped hazelnuts
80g Cocoa Powder, sifted
65g Plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
360g Caster Sugar
4 x Eggs

* Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and line and grease a square/rectangular baking tin.
* Melt the chocolate pieces and butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Or melt in a microwave, I dont have a microwave.



* While this is melting, in another bowl, mix together the Cocoa Powder, Flour, Baking Powder and Sugar.
* When the chocolate and butter have melted stir in the nuts then add this liquid to the flour mix.
* Beat the eggs together in a separate bowl, then add this to the other ingredients.
* Mix well then pour into the baking tin.


* Check mixtures after 25 mins, it should be firm on top but gooey on the inside. I had to give mine another 10 mins.


* When they are cooked, leave to cool on a wire tray then when cooled, cut into squares and sprinkle with icing sugar. I put them in one of the old Glossybox boxes to take to my friends house.



Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Those brownies look amazing! Sorry to hear about your finger. I am now banned from using our benriner mandoline for that very reason...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were pretty tasty. The finger incident on the other hand was less than tasty. I don't think I've felt such pain since I stabbed myself in the hand last summer with a pair of secateurs.
      Stay safe xx

      Delete